How to Setup Vodafone GPRS Settings on iPhone 3GS
Yesterday, one of my friend was with me and he bought a new iPhone 3GS, 16 GB Version for himself at the new year to celebrate it. After checking the features, he then inserted his Vodafone SIM Card on this iPhone and wondering how to use the Vodafone GPRS Settings on it, because
Neither the Vodafone carrier has sent the settings for GPRS Automatically, nor there are any options given by Apple to manually setup the GPRS Settings as I am having my Samsung Galaxy S3 and i always use to set it up manually for GPRS network to surf the internet. With the release of iPhone 4 and all other higher iDevices, Apple has given the option for Internet Tethering but the older devices like iPhone 3GS won’t supports it.
So, we contacted the vodafone customer care and they told us this to use and activate the Vodafone internet on your iPhone 3GS.
Things you will need :
- An iPhone 3GS.
- Some Balance in your SIM Card to activate the internet plan.
- Thats it !
Steps to Setup the Vodafone GPRS Settings on your iPhone 3GS
Step 1 : First of all, Send a message to the Vodafone on their Toll-Free Number. The message should be like this :-
ACT IPHONE and Send it to 144.
Thats right, ACT means activate and there is a space between ACT and IPHONE and then you need to send it to their toll free number 144.
Once you have successfully sent the message, they will sent you an automated message telling you that, the request of internet activation will take up to 24 hours to work. A screen shot for this is as shown below :
Step 2 : Now you need to have an active internet plan for the GPRS Settings to work properly. So, either you can subscribe to one day plan, weekly plan or a month’s plan and contact the nearest shop in your area for the internet plans.
Step 3 : You can also recharge your internet plan manually from your SIM Card’s balance. To do so,
Just dial : *444*8# – This will activate the one day plan and gives you 30 MB (non-3G) data.
Just Dial : *444*95# – This will activate activate the one moth plan and gives you 1GB Data free.
For more offers, contact your local vodafone store or ask for help on their customer care number 111.
Step 4 : You need to wait for at least two hours, once you have activated any internet plans from above.Extra Tips from iPhoneKart
- Don’t activate one day plan, if you already have any other internet plan as you won’t be able to use the 2nd plan till the first plan is not completed.
- If you want 3G Data on your iPhone, then you need to read this article out : How to Setup GPRS Setting on your iPhone [Any GSM Carrier] to activate 3G data on your iPhone. The work doesn’t ends here, you then need to call the vodafone support team on their 111 number to ask them to activate the 3G Data on your iPhone.
- The rates for 3G are so high in india, so think again before using them. A 150MB 3G Data will cost you around Rs 45 and a 10 GB 3G Data plan will cost you more than Rs. 1200. So, don’t get it activated till you can afford it.
- If you want to use your iPhone’s internet over PC, then you need to setup a portable hotspot connection by going here : Settings > General > Network > Personal Hotspot. Here you will find two options to set this up.
- Once you see the “E” button in your iPhone Status bar, you are ready to use your internet and you have successfully setup the Vodafone GPRS Settings on your iPhone 3GS.